Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cheesecake Challenge @ Parvati

Armed with only P100, it was a challenge to seek out a single serving of cheesecake - not a Peso more - to address this inescapable dessert craving. I welcomed change (even a measly coin would make me feel rich), though considered this unlikely. Still, the hope for frugal satisfaction led me to the welcoming luminescence of Parvati, Trinoma.



I knew all too well that a slice of cheesecake in Parvati rarely went below the P120 level, but my penury painstakingly led me to scan through the chillers and yes - fantastic eyesight it was that was very supportive to my cause, I found my cheesecake a la pobre.


Mike's Baking White Chocolate Cheesecake Squares came in a box of 2's, priced at P95. For quite a long name, I still got P5 change for my hundred Peso bill. Good 'ol Mike, Baker and Supporter of the Broke.




[caption id="attachment_1460" align="aligncenter" width="614" caption="White Chocolate Cheesecake Squares"][/caption]

The cheesecake squares weren't gigantic - what were you expecting, a block of cheese? -  but maintained the usual 3-level cheesecake standard. Omitting the traditional graham cracker crust, it went with the white chocolate crust which balanced the flavor of the cheesecake. The chocolate topping - fine yet barely sweet - was more ornamental, but I appreciated this bland rendition as the white chocolate crust became the sole provider of sweetness.


While the cheesecake was compact and seemed "little" by cheesecake slice standards, it still managed my cheesecake fix without that over indulgent, choking feeling we get from eating too much cheesecake. And it had that white chocolate crust - points for that!


The other bar (remember, there were 2), I left in our fridge. I expect someone to "break in" my stash later in the evening. It's that time of the month again when everyone's broke.


 So tomorrow, I'm slashing my budget to P50.


On second thought.. Maybe not.



 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the challenge, this one looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! Thanks, Dude! Added you in my blogroll, thanks for dropping by as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try a dessert from Parvati...it looks delish..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... that's an affordable treat! I still haven't tried Parvati, but 95 pesos for two bars, that is a good find! I have a friend who loves cheesecakes, I will suggest this to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only tried Parvati's french macarons. want to give this one a shot too..

    ReplyDelete