Sunday, December 18, 2011

Who stole the cookies at Sonja's Cupcakes?


There's a reason why Red ought to be the color of the season because Sonja's Red Velvet cupcakes make the perfect holiday present (hint, hint), dessert, breakfast and fridge staple. However, it's not just the cupcakes the compel me to walk in the rain or scorching heat whenever we pass by Serendra, it's the cookies and bars.


Start paying attention to the cookie jars at Sonja's and you might find yourself the new cookie thief. The Blondie Bar is far from being dumb and rather outsmarts every other pastry in the planet with its peculiarly addictive coconut-Valrhona fusion. The Black and White cookie presents a chocolate feast in all shades, making Valrhona my next favorite baker's ingredient. When the time comes that I cannot decide between the two, I've decided to just buy both. Ha!


Just last weekend, someone must have left the cookie jar open at Sonja's because when we came over, there were no cookies! While Red Velvet was the obvious alternative, it was a tough decision between Bunny Huggers Carrot Cake and Valrhona Milk Choco-Hazelnut Tart. The latter won, by a mile.




The Valrhona Milk Choco-Hazelnut Tart won me over with its mile-long name and of course, Valrhona. From the chocolate crust, fudgy top and flan-like center, the super chocolate award goes to this one. The hazelnut was mildly infused in the flan (my guess) but the overall chocolate flavor was not overwhelming, just right. Forget Red Velvet and those other cupcakes with colorful icing, I'm stocking up on tart!


Now if Sonja's decides to display the Valrhona Milk Choco-Hazelnut Tart, Blondie Bar and Black and White Cookie side-by-side, indecision will certainly drive me insane. This one mind-boggling choice than can only be solved by a three-sided coin, but better if I could find a companion who would just buy me everything! :)

1 comment: